Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Stitch In Time Photoshoot on Film!

At one of the most recent photoshoots for  A Stitch in Time Volume 2, one of Charlie's friends at university who is also studying film, kindly offered to video the day and then turn it into a short film for us. Scott Willis, our wonderful film maker, travelled down from Edinburgh on the day of shooting in March and spent the day quietly filming us. He has since spent many hours editing the footage into a marvellous visual treat of the day. I do hope you enjoy it.


A Stitch In Time Photo Shoot from Scott Willis on Vimeo.

The garments shown, as I'm sure you're going to ask, are all in Volume 2 and in order that they make an appearance they are:-

Sirdar 1035 (yet to be named!) in Skein Queen Blush, shade Vintage Gold - 1940s
Helen Shrug in Excelana 4ply, shade Alabaster - 1930s
Tri Cable Cardigan in Shilasdair Cashmere 4 ply - 1930s
Pretty for Everyday in Rowan Cashsoft 4ply (also in Excelana 4ply) - 1940s
Glamorous Evening Top in Knitshop Mulberry Silk - 1950s
Pretty Frilled Jumper in Jamieson & Smith 2 ply jumper weight - 1930s
The Jan Sweater in Excelana 4ply, shade Powdered Egg - 1930s
There is a glimpse of Dinah's Lacy Top in Rooster Baby, shade Ice Gem -1930s
Then Sirdar 1035, Jan Sweater then back to Sirdar 1035
At the very end you can see Pretty for Everyday in the background and the garment on the cover shot is Cryscelle in Knitshop Mulberry Silk - 1930s. Phew!

The two models appearing in the film are the wonderful Theodora Burrow and fabulous Lola Valentine. The hair and make up artist is Catherine-Elizabeth who can do the most amazing hair I've ever seen. Others present are myself, Charlie, Gavin and Inny.

I want to take the opportunity to thank Scott once again for a fantastic production. He's only just finishing his first year - he is going to be so good!

I'm off to watch it once again, so
for now
Ruby xx

16 comments :

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous! Really getting in the mood now. :)

Lauren Hairston said...

Such fun! Can't wait for my copy to arrive!

superheidi said...

Just wonderful! I am tempted to order, but slightly intimidated about the skills required for those adorable models on display. But thank you for this sneak peek!

Just call me Ruby said...

Hi Heidi,

Whilst some of the designs are complex there are also plenty of straight forward garments in the book. The Helen shrug for example is very simple - no shaping and a basic stitch - even the sewing up is almost non existent!

There is also a whole chapter on finishing, which helps explain how to get polished look at the end that you want from a vintage pattern.

Hope that helps explain a bit more.

Ruby xx

madewithloops said...

Totally gorgeous!!! Love the music too...I am a total 20's & 30's fan x

McFilibuster said...

I am so excited about this book! The gold Sidar sweater is one that I am definitely going to knit. I enjoy the first volume a great deal, and I can't wait for the second. Thanks for the video preview!

superheidi said...

Thank you for your answer Ruby.

Giusy Jdeebella said...

gorgeous, super, great, just beautiful!!! Let me say that I'm super exited and can't wait to have the copy of the book :)) I've admired the model on the first book, and I just ADORE the natural feminine style they have!! Susan, I love love love how you are able to recreate the perfect retro atmosphere!! Oh, Charlie is adorable too!! I'm in love with you all :)
Xoxo, Giusy from Italy

fabriquefantastique said...

Good idea to have a video too, just a little movement makes a world of difference. Looking forward to getting my copy.

Mary Beth said...

This was very fun to watch...and I know how much Theodora loves to lindy hop, so it was cute to see her practicing her balboa steps while she thought no one was looking.

Yvette said...

Fantastic. Such a treat to see the garments moving. I particularly like the green one. Now, if only I could get my hair and make up to look like that!

laliloo (nic) said...

Completely gorgeously wonderful! Can't wait to see the book. You've put such a grand effort in.

alabama whirly said...

absolutely gorgeous - lovely x

Sandy said...

Fabulous vid!

I'm so looking forward to the new book and I'm currently knitting up the preview Jan Sweater..Love it!

AudKnits said...

I adored the video! The styling looks amazing. Beautifully done, and I can hardly wait for the book. Thank you for the wonderful behind-the-scenes glimps!