Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Sideways KAL

The Woolly Wormhead Sideways knitalong on Ravelry is due to start to today. I have signed up as we are knitting Ziggy from knitonthenet

Ziggy by Woolly Wormhead

I just adore this hat as does my daughter, so we'll be fighting over this one. This is the first sideways Wormhead hat I have tried and I'm really keen to do so. I'm going to have to wait a good week before I start however, as I'm still (as always) in a state of emergency trying to get everything ready for the next issue of knitonthenet.

For Ziggy, I have 3 edible skeins of worsted handspun from lazykate called Beatrice.

beatrice by lazykate

I have 7gms less than a skein of Lorna's Laces shepherd worsted which the original is done in so I'm going to do the smaller size and just hope that I have enough. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok but you can never be sure!

I went to Woolfest on Saturday and came away with some fabulous goodies which I haven't yet photographed. However, two of the things I got where these two books:

The first is this Ondori knitting pattern book called Aran Knit.

aran knit

I got it from The Knitting and Crochet Guild bookstall. Their stall always has books you just don't seem to be able to get anywhere else. I have tried to follow one or two japanese patterns before - there are no written instructions to speak of -

japanese knitting pattern

however these cable ones are particularly complicated so it might be more of an inspiration book rather than a pattern book!

aran knit 2

However, to help me on the way, I got this aswell -

knitting languages

Its simply called Knitting Languages by a lady called Margaret Heathman. It is fantastic. I've wanted it for ages. It includes french/english, japanese/english norwegian/english and seven others, including danish/english, which means I can start translating this book which you may remember I bought some time ago.

feminine strik

There are a number of patterns in this book that I would love to do, but I'll probably pick a simple one to start and work my way up!

All this talk of books reminds that is is now July. If you pop back later in the week I will have the July giveaway ready for you - same simple rules as last time.

for now

Ruby xxx

3 comments :

Gudrun Johnston said...

What a handy book to have...I can see why you'd want it with all those pretty patterns to translate!

Catherine Wilson said...

I'm doing Ziggy too. I've got some Lorna's Laces in Rainbow its really funky!! I love the Beatrice yarn should knit up great. I want the pattern for the shrug on the front cover of the book its gorgeous!! Sounds like you had fun at Woolfest x

Linda said...

There are some beautiful patterns tehre, I love the japanese books. I also really like all of the Woolly wormhead knits, the problem is that I don't wear hats but I still might get her book!