Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Oh dear, what a week

After promising to deliver so much on Tuesday, this week really went downhill quickly. I came down with an horrendous cold on Tuesday night which is improving but still with me today, but the real nightmare was twisting my coccyx (no idea how that's even possible) which in turn put out my hip, which put out my shoulder, which sent pains into my neck and down my arm. Have only managed to knit about 6 rows all week and computing is incredibly painful. The worst thing is, that because the hip is so sore sitting or lying down are really uncomfortable, so I can't even rest properly.

A very close member of my family has also been having a very big life crisis which I won't go into here but I've obviously had to give him a lot of time and support. He made a big decision today which will hopefully help him move his life forward. Keeping fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed. (ooh, not legs, not allowed to as bad for my back and shoulder).

Sometime ago, while still lecturing at the local Art College I had written a paper about craft (and particularly knitting) and RSI and other related problems. I saved it to my computer and have even forwarded it to one or two people since. I haven't looked for it since moving onto my laptop some months ago when my computer died, but after searching the entire memory I have come to the unfortunate realisation that its gone. I also thought I had put it on my myspace and/or this blog but can't find it anywhere. Dear me, moan, moan, moan.

So I haven't got anything to show this week and all my plans have come to nought.

The only thing I have managed to do is nearly finish 'The Weeping Women Hotel'

weeping women hotel

by Alexi Sayle

alexi

who also hails from Liverpool. I have long been a fan of his short stories and this full length novel is just as good. His black humour is very hard to describe and sometimes you find yourself wondering whether you should really be finding something funny, but you just can't help yourself.

It is also officially now Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture.

capital of culture

It was launched with a concert on top of St George's Hall in Liverpool City Centre on Friday night with Ringo Starr singing from the roof.

st georges hall

This is St George's Hall at night. On the evening of the concert all 6 lanes of the road in front where closed off to traffic and filled with tens of thousands of people who braved the weather to watch the concert.

There are events going on throughout the city every single day of the year to celebrate. I am hoping to do something knitting related during the year and will be talking to someone next week about this - more on this after I've had the chat!

What a relief, being old sometimes has its benefits.

Sweeney Todd, directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp and the wonderful Helena Bonham Carter comes out in the UK next Friday, and its being rated an 18, so I, being an adult, can go, but my daughter, being only 15, can't. She is so cross. Its not often I get to do something that she doesn't!

And finally, our Teens Love Craft group is moving to a local cafe as it has grown too big for my living room, and also, we have a number of non-teens who wish to come along too, so we are having the first of our monthly meetings next Thursday at a local cafe. I'm really looking forward to it. There are about 10-12 of us, which isn't a bad starting number.

Hopefully knitting and sewing photos very soon,

but for now

Ruby xx

4 comments :

Lauren Hairston said...

I hope you feel better very soon! It's terrible to have a cold and injuries at the same time!

By the way, saw Ringo Starr give a talk before his concert on American TV (at 8:30 in the morning, no less).

Gudrun Johnston said...

Oh my goodness that is quite a week....it can only be uphill from here though! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Linda said...

Get well soon xx

Robin said...

Sorry about the injury - hopefully you are better soon!

That is interesting info about the movie rating system in the UK - here if something is rated "R" I think people under 17 are not permitted in without a parent, but they can come in if they are with a parent. Hence the stupid people that bring small (5 and under) children to horror movies!