Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Sunday, June 03, 2007

A host of WIP's

I don't know if there is a technical word for a multiple of WIP's but these are a few of the many things I am working on right now.

The first are these lovely gloves:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

using Jamieson & Smith 2 ply lace yarn. Its 100% pure wool in shade L68. Its more of a raspberry shade than it looks on screen. You knit the gloves on only 2 needles. I've had to FROG once as I haven't quite got the finger placement instructions worked out right yet. I'm hoping I'll crack it tonight. This is obviously the first glove so I've still got to do a second. I hope I don't run out of enthusiasm.

I found an alternate yarn for my Paper Bag pattern from Spring Knitty. I've tried using Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed. Again its a pure wool. You need to up the needle size to 5mm (US 8)
but it works rather well. It gives a completely different look to the bag.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I would use these handles with it

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and a brown and orange 50's or 70's print fabric as a lining. I have an old tablecloth with brown and orange flowers on it that I would probably use. I don't know if I'll make it up into the bag or not though as the yarn, fabric and handle combination have given me an idea for another bag.

I've also been swatching with my gorgeous Habu Textiles pure silk that I received from my Secret Pal. It drapes beautifully. Very soft and fluid. The colour is gorgeous. I also have some Habu stainless steel yarn that I keep threatening to use. I think the combination with this yarn and colour will be perfect.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'll show you more of this one as it proceeds. It's a very simple 7 stitch repeat, of K5, yfwd, k2tog., with the number of stitches at the beginning of each RS row decreasing then increasing to move the eyelets. The WS is just Purl every time. I've just got to order a load more skeins of it now to make a full garment with it. The yardage is very good though, there is 155yds (138 mtrs) in 25gm.

There are more ongoing projects but I'll save them for another day.

The sky out of the window is turning black and once again I think we're going to have rain.

for now
Ruby xx

No comments :