Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Friday, June 22, 2007

Textured 50's Jacket Swatches and progress

I've been working on my design for knitonthenet.com using Blue Sky Alpaca organic cotton in a gorgeous honey shade. I sampled on 5.5mm and 5mm and decided I liked the firmness of the yarn on 5mm, particularly with it being cotton I really think you need to have really good firm stitches.

I wanted a textured stitch for my jacket but because I intend to mix it with panels of either stocking stitch or reverse stocking stitch I didn't want anything over complicated. I've done some experiments based on 8sts knit, 8sts purl,

I started with
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

which is 8sts knit, 8sts purl, for 6 rows, then 8sts purl, 8sts knit for 6 rows.

This wasn't really interesting enough and also came out a bit too square, so I tried the same combination but only over 4 rows

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

which I liked better but still not quite what I was looking for, so after the first 4 rows I moved it all along by 4sts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

still only simple but visually much more interesting. Looking at the three together I think you can definately see its the strongest

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm going to give the jacket a hem rather than edging and build the buttonholes into the patterns edge.

The buttons are just wonderful. I bought them some time ago at an antique and vintage textile fair. They are original early 1950's plastic buttons and I love them

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I think they're going to work just great with the jacket. I'll try and finish off my sketches over the weekend but I keep changing my mind about it as I sketch.

I'm hiding away from the workmen in my garden at the moment. Big holes have been dug and now concrete is being poured, I may finally see my extension built yet.

for now,
Ruby xxx

No comments :